Further digital initiatives create added value for Bostadsstiftelsen Platen
In Motala, Sweden the public housing company Bostadsstiftelsen Platen has long been a customer of Egain for operational and energy optimization. Now they have also decided to take a further step in their digitalization and have chosen to digitalize their ventilation systems and sub-stations via another of the products in Kiona’s range – Web Port SCADA.
We had a chat with Henrik Svensson, property engineer at Platen who told us how their work on digitalization, environment, and energy is done today. A work that in large parts will be completely digitalized.
If we start from the beginning, what have you done in the past in terms of digitalization, environment, and energy and what do you want to achieve?
– “We have several perspectives to take into account when it comes to energy consumption. On the one hand, we have the overall goal that our environmental impact should be as low as possible and comply with our set goals regarding climate work, and on the other hand, we of course want the customer, i.e. our tenants, to be satisfied with the indoor climate”.
– “Our energy use is managed and optimized remotely. We currently use Egain Edge, which has been connected to our properties for a few years now. Through Edge, we are able to deliver an indoor temperature of 20-21.5 degrees out to our stock through advanced, self-learning control algorithms. The system is self-learning, which means that the algorithms are constantly learning from all the data recorded in the property regarding, for example, indoor comfort, weather data, the different characteristics of the buildings in different situations, to constantly fine-tune the control, so that the indoor climate is controlled for the better”.
– By using Egain’s AI (Artificial Intelligence), we can provide connected buildings with a precise and proactive control strategy that saves energy. As an analytics platform, Edge handles data from multiple sources, such as data from installed sensors inside apartments and professional, local weather data. It then adds knowledge about the specific characteristics of our buildings, such as their ability to absorb and store free energy from the sun, to come up with a unique and accurate algorithm tailored to each building and its environment.
– Digitalisation of buildings is advancing rapidly, and we were early to realize the value of installing indoor sensors in many of our apartments, for example, to get feedback on indoor climate remotely, says Henrik Svensson, Property Engineer.
Now you are making an investment and expanding the installation of Moldeo’s SCADA platform Web Port, what is the reason for that?
– That’s right, we have invested in Web Port which we continue to install in order to digitize our sub-centers, ventilation systems. This is an important project, allowing us to gain control over how well a building’s heating/ventilation system is performing and to identify any shortcomings quickly. Overall, this makes us more efficient in our working practices and enables us to resolve any fault reports more quickly for the tenant, which creates added value for both our tenants and ourselves,” concludes Henrik.
– With Web Port, we get an open and flexible overall system (SCADA) that we can easily connect to other building management systems and platforms and that delivers dynamic operational images, system alarms, analyses, and reports. Web Port makes it very easy for us to visualize the various technical installations in our buildings and monitor their operation and performance. Through these two digital platforms, we get a very good overview of our stock while at the same time optimizing operations in a smart way with AI.
“Kiona’s Edge and Web Port platforms streamline our work and improve our delivery to our tenants” – Henrik Svensson, Property Engineer
In total, over 20 million data points are analyzed every day and have billions of metrics from different properties in the database that are constantly analyzed. The more the data algorithm analyses, the more it learns how the specific property behaves and is affected by various internal and external factors, becoming more intelligent with each passing day.
– For us as engineers, all of this means that we have access to two digital tools with features that allow us to be more efficient in our work and to make it easier to do the right things at the right time. For example, we can monitor indoor temperatures remotely and receive alerts if something falls outside of setting parameters. This allows us to be on-site quickly to fix any problems that may arise, which our tenants appreciate.
Facts about Bostadsstiftelsen Platen
Location: Motala, Sweden
Type: Social Housing Company
Number of apartments: 5 700